Details from event's RunSignUp.com listing:
Online Store Still Open!
Check out our Heat the Streets Store, where you can buy merchandise and donate to support those in need of utility assistance. With your merchandise purchase and donation, we are one step closer to reaching our goal! Merchandise options include:
- Unisex Tee
- Long Sleeve Tee
- Unisex Tank
- Pullover Hoodie
- Youth Tee
- Ceramic Coffee Mug
What is the Heat the Streets Run & Walk for Warmth?
Heat the Streets Run & Walk for Warmth offers participants the opportunity to register for a timed 5K run, untimed run/walk, or - new this year! - a timed 5-mile run.
Current race routes are below. Please note, routes are subject to change.
Why do we do it?
Since 2007, Metropolitan Utilities District and Omaha Public Power District have teamed up to host this annual event, with proceeds benefiting local utility assistance programs to help friends, family and neighbors in our communities pay their utility bills. The event is hosted in the cold winter months to bring attention to those who struggle to keep the lights on and heat their homes. However, utility assistance is a year-round need.
Funds raised are administered by Dollar Energy Fund, Inc., a registered 501(c)(3), and then split between M.U.D.’s Home Fund and OPPD’s Energy Assistance Program to provide assistance to our customers living in Burt, Cass, Colfax, Dodge, Douglas, Johnson, Nemaha, Otoe, Pawnee, Richardson, Sarpy, Saunders and Washington counties. All money raised is distributed through this local network.
Dollar Energy Fund's mission is to improve the quality of life for households experiencing hardships by providing utility assistance and other services that lead to self-sufficiency.
What are the details?
Packet pickup will be Friday, March 3 inside the HDR lobby (1917 S. 67th St.) from 12-6 p.m., and Saturday, March 4 from 7:30-9 a.m.
Participants will gather Saturday, March 4 at Zone 6 in Aksarben Village to run, walk and raise awareness for those in need of assistance in our community. The timed events will begin at 9 a.m. and the untimed event will start at 9:05 a.m. Vendors will be set up on-site and everyone is encouraged to visit Inner Rail and Aksarben Village businesses before and after the event.
Awards will be given to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place male and female runners in each of the following age divisions for the timed 5-mile and timed 5K events: 12 and under, 13-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70+.
For those signing up for the virtual option, we encourage you to complete your registered distance on March 4 in your neighborhood, on local trails or from your home or gym treadmill! (No awards given to virtual participants.)
Registrations are non-refundable. Strollers are welcome. Pets and service dogs are allowed and owners must adhere to city leash ordinances.
How much does it cost?
Timed 5-mile run
- $40 (Now through March 1)
- $50 (Day-of registration)
Timed 5K run
- $35 (Now through March 1)
- $45 (Day-of registration)
Untimed run/walk (Children 12 and under may register for free with a registered adult.)
- $30 (Now through March 1)
- $40 (Day-of registration)
- $30 (Now through March 1)
How else can I help?
You may make a direct, tax-deductible donation here.
Check out our online store, where a portion of your purchase benefits our event!
If you have questions, contact us! For event updates and information, follow us on Facebook.
To view sponsorship opportunities, please click here.
For the love of all that is good and moisture wicking...
ALWAYS visit the race's website for the most complete and accurate race information.
Added to our DirectoryDec 11, 2013
Last Updated in our DirectoryAug 21, 2022
Last checked by a snack-eating human.Sep 29, 2022
Appears in Directories
This event has concludedWe hope to update it for 2024
Updates, Options, Corrections, or Problems
- Because we personally verify everything that is submitted to us, we allow anyone to submit an update or correction, or report a problem. No need to create an account or log in.
- Submit an Update Or Correction
- Feature This Listing
- Report a Bad Link
- Remove From Directory
Run-Time: Saved Race
- A Saved Race is one that has been added to your personal directory. You can organized races in lists, and add comments for your own personal reminders and information.
- You must Create an Account and Log In to save races to your own personal directory.
- Learn more about Saved Races
- A claimed race is one that you are a contact for. We can email you when we update our listing, or if we have questions or concerns. You can schedule reminder emails to renew your race listings.
- You must Create an Account and Log In, or use an Authorization Code to claim Listings.
- Learn more about Claimed Listings