Details from event's RunSignUp.com listing:
Join us in the beautiful mountainous deserts of McDowell Mountain Regional Park in Arizona to be part of another great Onyx event. McDowell offers incredible views of the desert landscape, fantastic temperatures, challenging terrain, lots of sandbags, and just enough climbing to keep things spicy. This April we will be staging in the competitive track area and offer a BRAND NEW course. Route distances will vary from 1 mile roundtrip to up to 12 miles roundtrip.
Goal: Score as many points as possible
Duration: 4 hours (Onyx), 8 hours (Onyx Ultra)
The Onyx race is our signature event that completely flips the script on what a trail race can be. Instead of racing for time, participants race for points. The goal of the race is to score as many points as possible in the given timeframe. Points are earned by running designated out-and-back routes and bringing back either a sandbag or flag from the turnaround point on any of the routes.
Each route has different point values. Flags are worth 1x the route value while sandbags are worth 1.5x. The longer the route, the higher the point value. You choose where, how much, and how hard you run for the duration of the race.
Know your strengths, set your strategy, and challenge yourself.
FRIDAY SPRINT LAP:
Taking place of the Onyx Half this year is the Friday Sprint Lap. Join us on Friday evening for a spicy sprint lap on the Black Route of the course. This will be an 12 mile, out-and-back race. All racers will be required to carry a sandbag on the return trip.
For complete info and FAQs on Onyx, visit https://www.doubleblackevents.com/onyxfaq
- Ticket for our post-race raffle
- Free swag
- Nutrition items from our sponsors
- Finisher awards
- Access to well-stocked aid stations and recovery area
- Access to our awesome venue area equipped with our electronic leaderboard, free product from local vendors, and great music
- A shot at the podium to win prize money and other awards
- Access to photos and videos from the race
*Please Note: a $7 entry fee to McDowell Mountain Regional Park is required at the gate by the county. Card or exact change only.
For the love of all that is good and moisture wicking...
ALWAYS visit the race's website for the most complete and accurate race information.
Added to our DirectoryMay 2, 2022
Last Updated in our DirectoryJan 23, 2023
Appears in Directories
This event has concludedWe hope to update it for 2024
Updates, Options, Corrections, or Problems
- Because we personally verify everything that is submitted to us, we allow anyone to submit an update or correction, or report a problem. No need to create an account or log in.
- Submit an Update Or Correction
- Feature This Listing
- Report a Bad Link
- Remove From Directory
Run-Time: Saved Race
- A Saved Race is one that has been added to your personal directory. You can organized races in lists, and add comments for your own personal reminders and information.
- You must Create an Account and Log In to save races to your own personal directory.
- Learn more about Saved Races
- A claimed race is one that you are a contact for. We can email you when we update our listing, or if we have questions or concerns. You can schedule reminder emails to renew your race listings.
- You must Create an Account and Log In, or use an Authorization Code to claim Listings.
- Learn more about Claimed Listings