Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Anything Else - Running Related
Return to Forum: Anything Else - Running Related
Topic: Glenn Caffery's Run Across America - thru Waukesha
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Jul 22, 2011 Reply
Updated:
Jul 22, 2011
I learned about Glenn Caffery's run across America in Tom Held's article: Cure Alzheimer's Run update: Lake Mills to Wales  on Thursday afternoon when I returned from an 85 mile bike ride to Lake Mills and back.  I had just biked where Glenn Caffery was running.

Glenn Caffery is running across America, in honor of his dad, who died from Alzheimer's in 2002.  You can read more about Glenn, and help support his cause at Cure Alzheimer's Run.

I decided to send Glenn a quick email asking if I could run with him Friday. He said he was starting in Wales, WI at 6:30 am.  He was going to run east on the Glacial Drumlin trail.

I had Bill drop me off at the road crossing just east of where he was starting, and I headed west to meet up with Glenn.  Bill would wait there and catch a few pictures on the easterly run.

Photo by Bill Flaws.  Glacial Drumlin trail at Boettcher Rd (left to right: Glenn Caffery, Glenn's stroller and all his gear, Ted (on recumbent bike), John Luterbach, Mary Flaws)

We were also joined by Ted (didn't get a last name), and John Luterbach, a 2010 graduate of Catholic Memorial High School in Waukesha, now running for Adams State in Colorado.

Glenn is doing this run solo.  He has everything he needs in that stroller.  In the early stages of the run, when crossing vast unpopulated areas, he simply camped on the side of the road.  Last night, he stayed at the Peddler's Inn, a bed and breakfast in Wales.

We talked about traffic issues.  He said that people often thought there was a baby in the stroller.  I thought that would meant cars gave him plenty of room.  He corrected me, it mean people were calling the police.  Because he'd often run on the gravel beside the road, and keep the stroller on the pavement, passers by thought he was sacrificing the safety of a baby for his own comfort.

In the photo, you can see John taking a turn pushing the stroller.  I too gave it a try.  I lasted about 200 yards before apologizing.  It wasn't too heavy.  I couldn't figure out how to steer the thing. I can't imagine pushing it thousands of miles across the nation.

Glenn is covering about 40 to 50 miles a day.  He started in Oregon in May, and plans to finish in Rhode Island in August.  He is about 2 weeks behind due to injury.  Shin splints troubled him near the beginning.  Later in the journey, one night when he was done running, he stepped on a prickly pear cactus.  The wounds left behind from the spines caused him to alter his stride on subsequent runs.

In Wisconsin, our heat wave slowed him a bit on Wednesday.  Today, we had plagues of deer flies pestering us, but not causing any real problems.  We had a light rain, temperatures in the 70s and saw a bit of lightning dancing in the sky.

We got to the end of the Glacial Drumlin trail, and it was time for me to head south to go home.  John was going to help Glenn find the New Berlin Recreation trail.  Navigating through Waukesha is problematic.  Most Waukeshanians know how to get to a destination, but have no idea how to tell someone else how to get there.  Our roads are nuts.

Glenn's plan for today will take him to the High Speed Ferry in Milwaukee where he will cross Lake Michigan and continue is eastward journey.