Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Running in Texas
Return to Forum: Running in Texas
Topic: Create a race
1 to 2 of 2
Format For Printing
Posted By: Samiam Posted: Dec 29, 2010 Reply
What would need to do to create a race in my coummunity ? I have never ran in on one yet either, there are very few in the area and tons of runners ...

Thanks for your input

Posted By: Webmaster Bill Posted: Dec 29, 2010 Reply
Reply To:
Samiam
We actually don't put on races ourselves.  But, we have a web page setup for a race management company in Georgia that does timing and race management for 100+ races each year and on that page is a document called "How To Plan A Successful Running Event".  Now, the document is geared toward that company and specifically races in Georgia, but I believe the document lays out nicely the basics for starting a race.  You might find it helpful.  Here is a link to that document:

Here is another How to Organize Your First Race (by active.com)

Another thought, would be to find a timing company/race management company in your area.  These companies will handle race setup, timing, etc. for a fee.  Here is a link to a website that lists by state a number of event management companies:

Local running clubs would also be a good place to contact.  Most likely they've put on races through the club and would know what permits are needed, who can certify a course, best places for a running event course, marketing/sponsorship/etc.  You can see what running clubs we have listed on our site by visiting this page and choosing your state:

Hope that helps some,
Bill
Running in the USA