Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Green Lake Area Half Marathon 13 Dot 1
Return to Forum: Green Lake Area Half Marathon 13 Dot 1 Race Info
Topic: 2010 Recap - Very scenic new race
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Sep 8, 2010 Reply
Updated:
Sep 8, 2010
This was race number 2 of 3 in my Labor Day weekend.Near Start  The first was the Lake Country Half Marathon in Oconomowoc, WI, and the third will be the Labor Day 10K in Midland, MI.

When asked by running friend Dennis Hanna why I was doing back-to-back half marathons, I replied 'because they're there'.

I chose this inaugural event because, well, it fit into my schedule, and was less that 2 hours from home.  The pictures of the course on the website looked promising. Sometimes I am one of those kinds of people that jumps into the pool, and then looks around to see what the water is like.Webmaster Mary

The organizers did a great job.  The course was very scenic.  We went past a lake or 2, a golf course, and narrow winding roads lined with rustic stone fences.  The park area near the start, in the photo above, was very charming.  There were plenty of water stops, volunteers, the route was well marked. Everything seemed to go very smoothly.

I decided to run this as a training run, rather than an all-out effort.  Since I am doing 3 races in 3 days, I decided I'd push harder on the first and third races, and take it a bit relaxed today.Mary Bolich

I knew that Mary Bolich (pictured right), ranked #5 women masters marathon runner in Wisconsin in 2009, according to Jim Schmidt's Wisconsin Running Stats website, was in the field.  It wasn't until I finished that I learned that #1 and #7 were also there, Carolyn Smith and Lisa Johnson respectively.  Some of you may know I was #6.  So, this brand new race drew 4 of the top 7 womens masters runners in Wisconsin. 

Carolyn finished first among the women with a 1:28:29.  Lisa was second with a 1:31:03, followed closely behind by Mary B with a 1:31:20.  It was a very close race for 1 - 3 for the women.  I finished comfortably, and as planned, with a 1:39:34 for fourth.

I highly recommend this race, and will put it on my calendar for next year.