Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Eisenbahn Marathon
Return to Forum: Eisenbahn Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2010 Recap - Inaugural Event
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Sep 1, 2010 Reply
Updated:
Sep 1, 2010
Wisconsin has added many new marathons this year.  One of which is the Eisenbahn Marathon.Start

Starting in Eden, WI, the course follows the Eisenbahn trail south and ends in West Bend.  The Eisenbahn trail is a rail-trail, and so it is pancake flat.

A couple times the route leaves the Eisenbahn trail and makes a couple detours on country roads.  These roads include a couple of wicked hills.

The 6am start time kept temperatures cool, and provided a lot of shade along the way for an August morning. The trail was pleasantly scenic.

Course support was good - plenty of volunteers, aid stations, water, sports drink, porta-potties.Mile 9

With 137 participants in the marathon, I ran alone for most of it.  As I approached aid stations, I could see the volunteers looking up-course for their next customer.  I could see them get ready to cheer, hand me water and sports drink. This was quite, nice, but a tad embarassing, when tummy issues forced me to duck into the porta-potty first.  With no other runners in sight, these ready volunteers had nothing to do but wait patiently for me while I tended to humbling duties.  The quiet morning did not offer any background noise and well... let's just say there weren't many secrets as I sat in the big blue echo chamber.

The last mile and a half was the most scenic, with views of the Milwaukee river.  I came upon a person simply out for a walk, he asked me where we started, when I told him 'Eden' he replied 'Wow' in a way that was almost 2 syllables.

Participants were allowed to use the nearby YMCA to shower after the race.  This was the nicest YMCA I have ever seen, it was like a luxury spa.  Wow. I would do this race again just to use this locker room.  Decorated, flat screen tv, clean, smelled great, nice furniture to sit on while doing hair and make-up.  Absolutely beautiful.Trophy

The awards ceremony was at West Bend's Germanfest, in between polka bands. Pretty sure the folks in that tent knew as much about running as I do about polka.

The unique trophies were made by a local artist, and featured a rail road spike in the rustic sculpture.  Very cool.