Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Anything Else - Non-Running Related
Return to Forum: Anything Else - Non-Running Related
Topic: Internet Radio - Pandora
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Jul 19, 2009 Reply
Updated:
Jul 19, 2009
I have been running quite a few miles lately, and am looking to add to my music selections on my iPod.  I like to listen to internet radio while I sit at my computer all day long, to hear new music, or music that's been around, but is new to me.

I primarily like alternative, grunge, and rock.  I also like a bit of funk, blues, r & b, and soul.  I found a few internet radio stations, but just couldn't find the right mix.  Stations were too hard, too soft, or not enough variety.

Monday, I found www.pandora.com.  Its been around a while, but I had never heard of it.  I found it by googling "Internet Radio".

Pandora creates custom "radio stations" for visitors based on songs and artists they like.

Here's how it works: You start by entering your favorite music artist, and based on the musical attributes of that artist, it selects songs from other artists with similar attributes.  As you listen, you can indicate you like or dislike a particular song, and it continues to evolve selecting songs as it "learns" what you like and don't like.  Here's the really cool thing - when you tell it you don't like a song, it will never play it for you again.  As you listen, you can also add to your "seed artists" and "seed songs", to add more variety to your station.  Pandora also allows you to create multiple stations.

I started my station with the Foo Fighters.  I then added Garbage, U2 and Maroon 5 to my "artist seeds".  I also added some songs to the "song seeds": Who Took the Merry Out of Christmas by the Staple Singers, Float On by Modest Mouse, Paralyzer by Finger Eleven, Rain King by Counting Crows, and Satellite by Guster.  Pandora has been playing songs from all of these artists, plus Snow Patrol, Green Day, Shack, The Strokes, Live, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Killers, Death Cab for Cutie, Darrow Fletcher just to name a few.  Shack, The Strokes, and Darrow Fletcher were new to me.  The others are all artists I already like.

Like many websites, Pandora makes money via ads and commercials.  I have found the amount of ads and commercials at Pandora to be completely reasonable.  I don't find them a distration at all.

Like other internet radio stations, the album cover is displayed while the song plays, and offers links to more info about the artist, song and album.  Love this feature too, especially for artist that I am not familiary with.

Mission accomplished.  I have found something I can listen to day after day after day while I am on my computer, and am finding additional songs that I like enough to add to my iPod for running.