Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Trailbreaker Marathon
Return to Forum: Trailbreaker Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2009 Recap
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Apr 4, 2009 Reply
Updated:
Apr 4, 2009
The Trailbreaker returned after a 1 year hiatus.  We had perfect weather, for Wisconsin for this time of year: upper 30s to low 40s, sunny, and very little wind.

The marathon course offers 20 miles of pancake flat paved bike path (Glacial Drumlin Trail), and 6 miles of rugged rocky single track on the Ice Age Trail, with the turn around at the top of a 40 foot tower on the highest point in Waukesha County.

I am partial to this course, as I consider it my 'home field'.  I can run to this course from my house, and have run it, biked it, roller-bladed many parts of it hundreds of times.

Early spring is not the most scenic time for this route.  In another 2 months, the bike path will be lined with many species of wildflowers, including anemone, spiderwort, pasture rose, teasle, chicory, and hoary puccoon.  Can't wait!

This was my second Trailbreaker full marathon.  I have also done the half marathon and the 5K in earlier years.  I ran the first 18 miles with a running friend, and fellow Armelian Marathoner, which really made the time fly.  I barely even looked at my watch.  We got to the tower, and were greated by my husband Bill, and another Armelian.  It was so nice to see them. 

There was no bell at the top of the tower this year.  In 2004, the "bell" was actually a fry pan and a hammer.  I do miss that.

Husband Bill and much of the Armelian group cheered us on at the finish.  Another fellow Armelian Marathoner also ran, and finished before us.  We all went to the Rochester Deli in Waukesha for a nice post-race lunch.

Great day, great run.  This will go down as one of my favorites.