Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Rails to Trails Marathon
Return to Forum: Rails to Trails Marathon Race Info
Topic: Recap of 2008 Race
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Nov 4, 2008 Reply
I ran the half marathon on Nov 2, 2008. Generally speaking, for an inaugural event, they did a pretty good job.

The race starts in Village Park, Norwalk, WI and has 2 out and back legs along the Elroy Sparta trail. The half marathon and full marathon courses include a 3/4 mile long tunnel.

Running through the tunnel was unique, and went much better than I thought it would. I thought I'd have to slow down, and wondered if it would be a bottleneck. It worked just fine. It was a little dizzying for the first few seconds, a bit of a strobe affect with the flashlights shining on the legs around me. But once I got into a rhythm, it was fine.

The course was scenic and interesting, and I generally liked the course, except for one universally disliked feature, that I hope they will change for next year. Runners of the half and full marathons had to pass under the finish line and continue down the trail with only 3 miles to go. So, it was mile 10 for the half marathoners, and 23 for the full marathoners. It was rather cruel to be there at the finish, and still have to head out and back for 3 more miles.

The post-race runner area had some pretty yummy food with a homemade touch. I definitely felt a warm welcome from the cozy and charming village of Norwalk.