Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Training - Nutrition - Injuries
Return to Forum: Training - Nutrition - Injuries
Topic: 100 mile run recovery issues
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: iruninpain Posted: Sep 30, 2007 Reply
I've completed two 100 mile runs. The runs went well. However, I have experienced lower leg swelling both times for about 5 to 6 days. After the second run, the swelling was worse and the doc said I had breakdown of muscle tissue based on blood test results. I also had memory and vision issues for about 2 weeks (concussion-like symptoms). I believe I took adequate salts, calories, food and hydration throughout the race. My doc has said I should no longer run these types of events, and wants to limit me to 50k or less. I would like to figure out why I had these issues. Like most ultra runners, it's hard to walk away from these runs. I recovered pretty well/quickly from the first 100 and am hoping to find possible causes for what happened the 2nd time. I think I may have taken too much Ibuprofen during the run. Doc says that's not it. I am hoping to get feedback from anyone else who may have experience in this area. Thanks for any advice.