Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Gobbler Grind Marathon
Return to Forum: Gobbler Grind Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2013 Recap - Brrrrrr!
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Dec 9, 2013 Reply
Updated:
Dec 9, 2013
Cold. Cold. Cold.

I traveled to Overland Park, KS all by myself. My first marathon trip completely solo. So, I brought my laptop, and a small work project that required a lot of brain power, that would be nice to work on in a quiet hotel room.

The starting temperature was 12 degrees according to my phone... significantly colder than the 24 degrees that I had anticipated based on studying the forecast all week long. I have plenty of experience running in colder temperatures, but not in November. Not with no time to acclimate.  I put on everything I brought. If there was a marathon for photographer webmaster Bill to miss, it would be this one, since everyone looked like they were evading any type of visual recognition. 

There were no mile markers on the course, and my Garmin was buried under a few layers. At our turn-around points, we were able to ask what the mileage was, and were told 'about 12.5' and 'about 22'. Other than that, I really didn't know mileage, pace, or time.

At the aid station at mile 'about 22', the water had finally succumbed to the cold temperatures, and as I tried to pour my cup of water into my mouth, absolutely nothing happened. I had to pound it on the table to break it up and get a little bit of 'plain slushy'... which caused an ice cream head ache, which is really a bummer when it doesn't involve actual ice cream.

I finished, grabbed a snack, headed back to my hotel, turned the climate controls to 'sauna', and stood motionless in a very very hot shower attempting to thaw out. When I finally emerged, there was so much steam, the visibility in the bathroom was about 4 inches. I felt around for my towel and clothes, and got dressed.

Sorry, Kansas, I didn't go to any local restaurants, do any sight seeing, I have nothing to report about the area.

Sub 4 marathon state 38.

Lifetime marathon 75.

18th marathon this year.