Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Newport Marathon
Return to Forum: Newport Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2013 Recap - Marathon 1 of 2 for the weekend
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Jun 9, 2013 Reply
Jun 9, 2013
Our 4 day trip to Oregon and Washington, for back to back marathons, brought us to Portland in plenty of time to have a day of sight-seeing.
Fellow 50 Sub 4 running friend JoeWee Heinrichs and his family are making this trip also. JoeWee and I will be doing the Newport Marathon on Saturday, and the North Olympic Discovery Marathon, in Washington, on Sunday.
JoeWee and family have plans to see the Oregon Trail, which his son JC has been learning about in school. Bill and I head east from Portland, along I-84 for a casual drive and stops at whatever might look interesting along the Columbia River.
Our first stop was Multnomah Falls. Super easy to get to, its like stopping at a freeway oasis... short walk and tah dah - views of some spectacular falls.
We got back on the road and continued east. We saw a sign for the Bonneville Lock and Dam and thought that might be interesting, so we stopped. We arrived there just before a short guided tour, and decided to join in. We learned all about the dam, and locks, and fish ladders, and fish counting. I won't go into all the details, but if you are in the area, this is definitely worth the money (it was free), and the 1 hour that we spent.
We got back on the road, and continued east to Hood River. Panorama Point offered us a view of Mt Hood from 40 miles away. I also snuck a picture of Bill in his natural habitat - behind a camera.
 We decided it was time to turn around and head towards Newport. Along the way, we stopped in Salem to see the capitol. The mall around the capitol is absolutely beautiful, tons of rhododendrons and other flowers.
We arrived in Newport in time for packet pickup, and a late dinner with the Heinrichs family. They picked a place called Rogue Ales
Public House. We enjoyed good food, and shared the stories of our days.
After a long, but enjoyable and relaxing day, it was time to head to our hotel and get ready for tomorrow's marathon.
The marathon starts in Yaquina Bay State Park, which is walking distance from our hotel. It winds through town a bit, before heading out for a long out-and-back section along Yaquina Bay road, which oddly, runs adjacent to 
Yaquina Bay of all things.
Marathon 1 of a 2 marathon weekend needs to be approached carefully. On top of that, JoeWee and I each have a physical issue to deal with. JoeWee has a hip issue that is aggravated by running downhill, and running hard. I had a fall on a trail run a week ago that knocked the wind out of me, and left me with some very crabby ribs.
We start out conservatively at about an 8:30 pace, getting a feel for what our bodies will tolerate today, keeping in mind we need to do it again tomorrow morning. JoeWee's hip seems to be ok, but he knows that pushing it could seriously hurt his training plan for his upcoming IronMan. And for some reason, my ribs decide they will be crankier today than they have been all week, hindering my ability to breathe, and completely interfering with my ability to launch a respectable snot rocket. The breathing thing caused me to feel like crap for the entire run, but the snot rocket thing was embarrassing. All I could do was some wimpy little snot sputter dangler thing.
At mile 11 and 19, Oregon Oyster Farms 'treats' the runners to oyster shooters. I have never had an oyster in my life, and they go in the category of foods I have little desire to try. JoeWee loves oysters. But, I figure what kind of story would I have if I didn't at least try it. So, at mile 11, we stopped, picked up an oyster shooter, quick toast, and gulp. Down it went. And, it actually stayed there. And now I can cross that off my list, and never have to do it again. JoeWee, on the other hand, did enjoy another oyster on our return trip. 
The last few miles became increasingly more uncomfortable, but fortunately, JoeWee stayed with me, and carried the conversation. We talked about roller coasters, and the Milwaukee Bucks.  JoeWee and I finished in 3:42:32, being cheered for by Bill, Abby, JC, and Julie. It is so nice to finish an out of state marathon and have a group there greeting us. It is also really really nice to have company during a marathon, especially when you feel like crap the whole way.
Post race accommodations included sandwiches, fruit, clam chowder, and beer. We enjoyed these quickly and dashed back to the hotel for a quick shower before checkout.
The marathon shirt is a true 'finisher shirt' and was given out at the finish. The medal is a unique design and made of glass. Nice to get something different.
Time to head to Port Angeles, WA for marathon number 2. Read that recap here.
More pictures can be found:
Sub 4 Marathon State number 32.