Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: Cowan Road Middle School Jingle Bell Jog
Return to Forum: Cowan Road Middle School Jingle Bell Jog Race Info
Topic: 5K??
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Rick Posted: Dec 10, 2012 Reply

Enjoyed meeting some new people and supporting a new race for us. Unfortunately I don't believe that the race course was actually 5K. Active runners know what their race pace is and if results are way different from what is expected given the variables involved, then you have to suspect the course length.  I also overheard another runner comment that he believed the course to be short. Personally we drove 60 miles to join in the race but would not have if we had known that the course had not been professionally measured. We participate in over 50 5K's a year and do so to have fun running and measure training results. I know that the school believes the course to be 5K but it needs to be measured using accepted tools. If a race services company was used to time the event like is normally the case, then they would measure the course to insure its length. I know that might require entry fees to go up slightly, but it would attract more runners and ultimately provide more revenue for the school. Even if a service was only used for one year, the course could be accurately established.