Quantcast
Mobile Site You Might Be a Runner If... Gifts for Runners Login Run-Time (formerly User Options) Client Support Center
Work Hard. Play Harder.
Forum Links
Map Menu
Select a State
Other Options
Recent Posts
Help
About
Link to Forum Pages

Forum: American Discovery Trail Marathon
Return to Forum: American Discovery Trail Marathon Race Info
Topic: 2012 Recap - Perfect Conditions... yawn
1 to 1 of 1
Format For Printing
Posted By: Webmaster Mary Posted: Sep 6, 2012 Reply
If bad fortune makes good stories... sorry folks, this one is a yawner.

We had absolutely perfect conditions for the American Discovery Trail Marathon in Colorado Springs, CO on Labor Day. Not only that, but everything went smoothly too.

Mother nature treated us to temperatures in the 60s, light cloud cover, light tailwind.

The course is point to point, starting 26 miles north of Colorado Springs. As long as the Rocky Mountains are on your right, you can't get lost.

A field of 400 runners fits very nicely on the crushed gravel trail... not too crowded, not too lonely. The surface is hard enough for good traction and push-off, but soft enough to be gentle on the legs.

Pleasant scenery along the way, ranging from fields, to forests, to parks, and a bit of urban areas too.

The profile of the course offers 1200 feet of steady drop. This was just enough to give a little momentum, and not enough to hurt the quads.

We went through the Air Force Academy. Didn't see any planes. Saw some cows. Got passed by a train. Saw some hot air balloons way off in the distance. Kept the Rocky Mountains on my right.

As we approached the finish, we shared the trail with friendly pedestrians walking, biking, enjoying the nice day.

I finished within 20 seconds of my goal for the day.

Lots more pictures can be found here.

This was state number 24.

After finishing, we had a very nice afternoon, visiting Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods.

It was a really really nice day.

Wake up folks, recap's over.